Closing date: 30 Jul 2017
We are a specialist consultancy which helps solve complex problems in fragile and conflict-affected countries. With knowledge and expertise across the spectrum of security sector reform, governance and organisational change, justice/rule of law, conflict management and counter extremism, Aktis specialises in devising, managing and evaluating programmes to address challenging political and institutional problems and bring about lasting positive change. Working from our network of offices in the Middle East, North Africa, South Asia and East Africa, Aktis personnel have demonstrated their excellence at delivering innovative management consultancy support in some of the most challenging situations.
This will be part of North Africa regional team which has been operating out of Tunisia since late 2013. During this period, Aktis has built a team of 16 fulltime staff dedicated to project work focused on reforming the Tunisian security sector and supporting conflict management efforts in Libya. develop The staff combine international and local experience and understanding: the majority are local staff. Our technical delivery is led by native Arabic speakers and former security ministry officials with international consulting skills.
The Libya Project Officer or Coordinator (POPC) will be a Libyan national based in Libya who has strong and demonstrable research, organisational and interpersonal skills. To date, Aktis has been primarily implementing our Libyan projects remotely from Tunis and through our local Libyan partner. However, we are now keen to conduct more activities inside Libya itself and are therefore looking for a person(s) who can be trusted to represent Aktis and develop relationships with international and local stakeholders, conduct research and analysis and liaise with our Tunis-based team to coordinate project activities in either Tripoli, Benghazi and/or Sabha. As well as supporting current projects, this person will support the expansion of Aktis’ portfolio in Libya by developing an understanding of key stakeholders, networks and current issues.
The successful applicant will perform the specific duties noted below, although other responsibilities may be agreed:
· Stakeholder mapping and engagement in Libya: Establish and maintain strong relationships with international and local partner organisations, NGOs, CSOs, government officials, youth institutions, media, and other stakeholders working in the region;
· Libyan context analysis: (i) Provide up-to-date local context analysis and support the project team with research into key thematic areas. (ii) Support on updating and reporting on the regional Business Development pipeline. (iii) Participate in meetings with local stakeholders / partners / clients and represent Aktis Strategy at events and meetings as required;
· Operational and logistical support to project implementation: Coordinate project activities conducted in Libya under the Project Manager’s oversight, leading communication and logistics with project stakeholders in Libya and assisting in facilitating training as needed;
· Business Development (i) identify new opportunities and concepts for projects in Libya based on real Libya needs that coalesce with donor concerns (ii) contribute to proposal writing;
· Monitoring and Evaluation: Collect data against the project monitoring and evaluation plan; provide written inputs as requested for internal and external reports;
· Risk management: (i) Develop and maintain a local project risk register and stakeholder mapping and advise the Project Manager on any changes in risk levels and potential mitigations strategies as part of our Health, Safety and Security (HSS) responsibilities (ii) Support with project monthly and quarterly reports (iii) Implement security and pre-deployment policies and procedures;
· Financial: Perform basic financial administration functions such as planning and managing project related expenses in coordination with the Tunis team; and
· Translation and interpretation: provide linguistic support to non-Arabic-speaking partners and associates.
The successful candidate will have:
· A minimum of two years’ experience working on international development projects inside Libya in either Tripoli, Benghazi or Sabha. This could be either through a local NGO or an international organisation;
· Providing operational and logistical support to conduct events or activities inside Libya;
· A network of contacts in Libya and, ideally, identifying new business opportunities
· Experience of writing and communicating in English and Arabic through official letters and / or reports;
· Experience using Excel, Powerpoint, Word and Outlook; and
· Experience working with diverse teams and a familiarity with non-discrimination principles.
And ideally have:
· A minimum Bachelors’ degree in relevant field such as International Development, Humanities, Politics, Law, Business Management, Languages or Translation, gained from a reputable, quality university;
· Conducted research and/or context analysis for an international client;
· Performed basic financial administration functions such as managing expenses;
· Familiarity with basic monitoring and evaluation (M&E) concepts, approaches, tools and processes;
· Familiarity with been trained in project management;
· Helped facilitate or provide language support for international development project activities;
· Been remotely managed;
· Had responsibilities related to fulfilling Health, Safety and Security obligations; and
· Coordinated and/or contributed to the design of technical and commercial sections of proposals/bids.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; need to be skilled at building bridges between, and engaging with, a variety of different stakeholders;
· Highly organised and efficient; demonstrated capacity to meet tight deadlines and multi-task;
· Able to take initiative, and adapt to changing circumstances;
· Is a person who gains the trust and respect of his/her colleagues, has the highest level of integrity, is a team player;
· Is a self-starter who strives for excellence, takes the initiative, and naturally sees opportunities for change and improvement in fast-changing environments; and
· Has a professional attitude.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email : email@example.com
(Email available to paid up subscribers ONLY)