Employer: Saab Group
Location: Somalia , Mogadishu
At Saab, we constantly look ahead and push boundaries for what is considered technically possible. We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our challenge – to make the world a safer place.
What you will be a part of
Support and Services, a business area of Saab, supplies a wide range of services and integrated support solutions to customers in defence and on commercial markets for cost-efficient support of systems and platforms throughout their life cycle.
You will be part of a small, dynamic team that is responsible for the management and growth of Saab’s operations in East Africa. Based within the safe zone of Mogadishu International Airport, you will manage all operations in Somalia which currently includes a country wide vehicle maintenance contract with the UN and a number of camp management and logistic support operations run out of a purpose built camp. You will also assist with marketing and business development within this area. Reporting to the MD of Saab Kenya Ltd you will work alongside a multinational and multicultural team that is highly experienced in the management of operations in difficult environments. It will require you to have strong analytical, organisational and interpersonal skills with a grounded common sense and a desire to work in an environment of constant challenge.
Your responsiblities include:
– To maintain a detailed understanding of all contracts to ensure outputs meet customer requirements and support the management team when customer negotiations are required.
– To design and implement working practices to enable efficient and cost effective operations that meet customer requirements, internal KPIs and adhere to Saab’s polices & procedures and local legislation.
– To lead the Somalia management team and set clear goals and objectives to achieve financial success within a safe and secure Environment.
– To ensure there are Standard Operating Procedures in place for all functions throughout the operation and conduct regular audits and corrective action to maintain compliance.
– To implement and manage effective systems of quality control to ensure operational excellence.
– To work closely with the Saab Kenya Ltd Contracts Manager to report the operational output against the internal KPIs on a monthly basis and, where necessary, implement/refine working practices to improve operational efficiency.
– To maintain a strong working relationship with the contracts’ senior managers in Somalia and conduct regular liaison to ensure customer satisfaction.
– Assist the Saab Kenya Ltd business development team in growing current business and identifying new opportunities.
Health, Safety and Security:
– Develop and implement Security and OSH operating procedures to meet both the customer’s and Saab’s needs and ensure they are constantly reviewed and updated.
– Manage Deployment Ready Training, ensuring it is conducted on time and to the required standards.
– Manage the security contracts that support the operations in Somalia.
– Act as the focal point in Somalia in the event of a crisis and control the in-country response.
– Work closely with the Saab Kenya Ltd senior management team to create a profitable long term business plan that is efficiently executed on time and within budget.
– In consultation with HR, implement effective people management including recruitment, retention, training & development and succession planning.
– Plan and conduct preventative maintenance, repair and overhaul activities to ensure the infrastructure and assets retain capital and remain safe and functional.
– Ensure timely dissemination of information to enable accurate situational awareness for decision making and maintain operational records for historical reference.
– Create Work Instructions to ensure best practice is captured for future reference.
– Manage CSR activities in co-operation with the Saab Kenya Ltd CSR committee.
Your skills and experience
Competence/ Experience/ Character
5+ years’ experience in camp/workshop operations in a high risk environment (essential).
Contract, finance and personnel management experience in an international company (essential).
Knowledge of Saab’s business processes (desirable).
Knowledge of the UN and EU’s operations, policies and working practices (desirable).
Knowledge of African politics and cultural awareness (essential).
Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work (essential).
Bilingual (verbal and written) in English (essential) and Swedish (desirable).
Excellent communications skills (essential).
Team player with leadership qualities (essential).
High premium on tact, subtlety and flexibility (essential).
– Solid analytical skills. (essential)
Proficiency in MS Office (essential).
Physical and mental durability (essential).
Saab is a global defence and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defence, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number 15,500 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is also a company with opportunities. A company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility and good opportunities for advancing in your career. But also a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.
+254 736 608 982
Russell Thuma, HR