Employer: Mission East
Location: Iraq, Dohuk with regular visits to the other offices as required
Closing date: 25 Jan 2017
Length of contract: 12 months (with a possibility of extension), start as soon as possible.
Responsible to: Area Manager in Dohuk – Direct reporting line (personal management) and Head of Programme Support in Erbil – Dotted reporting line (technical reporting)
Direct Line Management of: Finance, Administration, Human Resources, Logistics and Security team in Dohuk
Coordination with: Programme teams in Dohuk and Erbil support services teams
Position Type: This is an unaccompanied position.
Mission East, founded in Denmark in 1991, is an international humanitarian and development organisation undertaking disaster relief and development programmes in Eastern Europe and Asia.
In Iraq, Mission East provides assistance for both the urgent basic needs for those who have recently fled from the violence as well as longer-term support for those who have been displaced for more than two years now.
Our current programme includes NFI and shelter interventions, WASH assistance, livelihoods support and child protection and psychosocial support activities delivered through multi-purpose community centres. Mission East is currently active in Ninewa, Dohuk and Kirkuk Governorates. More information on Mission East can be found at: http://www.missioneast.org
Ensure the provision of effective programme support services for Mission East’s Iraq Programme in Dohuk and sub-offices. This includes technical and managerial oversight and capacity building of the finance, administration, logistics and human resources functions.
Ensure a high level of quality and develop best practices for all services delivered by the support functions of Mission East’s office in Dohuk including budgets, financial reporting, HR management, procurement and logistics.
Key tasks and responsibilities
A. Finance management
• Responsible for financial management across the program run from the Dohuk office, ensuring the application of Mission East’s financial policies and procedures.
• Ensure that accounts are properly booked by financial staff and the monthly financial reports (including balance sheet reconciliations) are sent to Mission East’s finance team in Erbil.
• Follow up the cash forecast and manage the cash flow to ensure timely transfers of funds to the Dohuk office.
• Analyse the monthly reporting against project budget with the Area Manager to provide explanation of the variances so that corrective actions or issues raised are taken care of rapidly.
• Ensure that all financial donor-reporting requirements are complied with and that reports are submitted in a timely manner.
• In coordination with the Dohuk programme team, provide project budgets that reflect project activities and include the necessary costs to support the Dohuk base, its partners and its sub-offices.
• Ensure that end-of-financial year reconciliation and financial reporting is completed on time for all projects.
• Ensure compliance with local laws in the area of finance.
• Review and strengthen the internal control procedures
• Train and build the capacity of local staff.
B. Staff management
• Manage and provide personal supervision of finance, HR, logs, Security and administrative staff, conduct annual staff appraisals.
• With the Area Manager, identify and coordinate continuous capacity building of staff and identify staffing gaps for recruitment.
• Support in ensuring good working environment and discipline in the offices
• Lead the recruitment processes.
• Provide support, guidance and staff care to the staff of Mission East’s office in Dohuk in terms of management and welfare.
• Ensure that all HR policies are implemented and adhered to
C. Programme support
• Ensure that maximum financial, logistics and administrative support and assistance is provided from the financial, HR, logs, security and administrative staff and to relevant programme staff.
• Verify budgets for new contracted operational programmes, before implementation.
D. HR and Administration
• Follow up the assets planning and renewal
• Negotiate office/accommodation rental contracts, as well as proper storing of all original documentation
• Oversee that necessary functional administrative systems and routines are in place. Propose changes when necessary.
• Ensure that IT systems in the Dohuk office function smoothly to support office needs and that IT usage policy is adhered to.
• Support the HR Officer in ensuring that training needs are identified and met.
• Provide support to the HR Officer for local staff recruitment. Ensure that job descriptions and terms and conditions of the employment contracts are in accordance with Mission East policies
• Ensure that all HR policies are implemented and adhered to
E. Logistics and Security
• Provide leadership in the Logistic team to ensure efficient, effective and transparent procurement, logistic and asset management at the base level.
• Oversee the transport needs of Mission East Dohuk offices and sub offices
• Ensure that the procedures and policies in terms of warehousing, stock management and transport are implemented.
• Support the Dohuk Security Focal Point in their role
• Ensure Mission East participation in security fora in Dohuk and awareness of security information by relevant members of the Dohuk team
• Ensure that security is a regular agenda in team meetings
• Step in in as Acting Area Manager in absence of the Area Manager when requested
• Ensure follow up on Mission East Health & Safety policy
• Other possible duties, as agreed with the Area Manager and/or Head of Programme Support
The ideal candidate will have a solid background in NGO accounting and finance, HR and Logistics management.
S/he will have a proven record of staff capacity building and staff management (in supervision, delegation, training).
S/he will demonstrate attention to detail, be completely trustworthy, and act in an appropriate professional manner at all times.
S/he should be accustomed to work in an atmosphere in which security concerns are a daily part of life.
University degree preferably in Accounting/Finance, Business management
Professional accounting/finance qualification from internationally recognised accounting body.
At least 3 years of progressive experience in accounting and finance, HR and Logistics management in international NGO working in a relief/development setting.
Running NGO field accounting systems
Preparation of budgets & financial reports for international donors, with strong European and US Donors experience.
Developing financial skills and capacity building of local finance and non finance staff.
Planning and allocating costs between different projects.
Large scale procurement and logistics experience
Necessary skills competencies
Good knowledge of accounting management software, systems and practices
Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, Access etc)
Strong analytical skills.
Strong staff management skills and a team player
Excellent cross-cultural communication and conflict resolution skills
Ability to build bridges between different departments with different priorities- Good distance communication skills
Excellent fluent English (written and spoken). Arabic or Kurdish will be a distinct advantage.
Building a strong financial control environment in difficult conditions.
Sympathy with Mission East’s organisational values.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this post, please visit www.miseast.org/vacancies , where you will be able to complete an application form.
Please ensure that all sections are fully answered as candidates will be initially screened using data submitted on the online form. Final closing date for this position is 25/01/2017